Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Mediacom FAIL

Oh, I do so love ISP failures when I come home to relax after a long day's work. For some reason, my Mediacom services have gone to hell this evening. My internet is incredibly slow. Youtube videos won't play. I could barely connect to Live, and after struggling to do so, no Netflix access. Dead internet means no gaming with my bro (unless we do a system link and we're not feeling like it tonight). Heck, I'm not even getting TV right now. Thinking I'd just watch some episodes of Stargate Atlantis to unwind, I discover Season 4 has gone AWOL and I can't find it. SO what do I do? Turn to my blog to complain about it, I guess.

In gaming news, I'm excited about how Bioware is handling their launch day DLC. Giving an accesss code with the purchase of the game NEW, and charging anyone who buys the game a one-time fee, is a brilliant move. This way, players who buy new are rewarded with more content, while those who buy used still have the complete core. Bioware has a means to make some money off the used game market without resorting to the horrible idea offered my EPIC's Mark Rein (I believe it was him) of locking away levels at the end of a game and making people pay for them. That method would leave people who buy used buying less than a whole game. Not a good move if you're trying to keep the people buying your games happy.

If the Cerberus Network for Mass Effect 2 provides steady content throughout the game's lifespan, and isn't just another selling point to drive up Day One sales, we could be witnessing the birth of a new means to handle the distribution of DLC, and one a lot of other companies will be jumping on. Like EA... oh wait, they already own Bioware. Activision? Well... they're the new EA, so I don't think we'll see much for free from them. I'll say UBISOFT will be the next big company to do something like this.

One more week to Mass Effect 2 folks, and it turns out I may be reviewing it. If I get the green light (Webb's a busy man, it's looking likely) I'll really be pouring my heart and soul into this one. No review since RE5 have I looked forward to with such anticipation. It'll be one for the resume, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment